Sunday, September 20, 2009

Fruit Flies


We have an over abundance of fruit flies since canning this whole last week. They are crazy this year!! I was given an idea we are trying this very night!
Take an over ripe piece of fruit and place it on a foil lined cookie sheet. Place in the oven (with the oven turned off) and leave the door cracked over night. In the morning quietly and quickly shut the door and turn the oven on broil for a few minutes.
Fruit Flies should be gone.
This is what my fruit pieces looked like after only 15 minutes of being in the oven! I will update if it solved my infestation or not...
UPDATE: WOW! Hundreds! It really worked! It did not get every last fly... but it works for a large amount of them!
I also have been putting a bowl of cider vinegar and dish soap on my counter and that catched quite a few too! One of my FLYSisters offer advice to put this mixture in a jar and put a baggie over the top and close with a ring and then use a wooden spoon to push a hole in the bag... she said they fly in but can't always fly out I guess! I am modifying my bowl of mixture to this method today! SWEET! Glad to be taking my house back! *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment